My History with DD Day by Lee

Here in Western New York the Developmental Disabilities Awareness Day Conference, or DD Day, happens at the end of May every year. 2017 marked the 29th annual conference and was held at the Niagara Falls Conference and Event Center on Thursday, May 18th. 

It is a day long gathering of thousands of self advocates, human services professionals, community leaders, service providers and anyone touched in their lives with disability. The attendees learn about the newest services available, listen to national speakers who inform and prove that anything is possible, attend workshops and performances, peruse the vendor fair comprising agencies, self advocacy groups, community services, activities, exceptional entrepreneurs and local  businesses catering to the needs of the disabled community. This year's keynote speaker was Jamie Brewer, noted actress from the television show American Horror Story.

It's also a time to reconnect with friends both personal and professional and for one day a year, DD Day is the place to be. This has been my second year serving on the planning committee for this event and as I've watched the event grow over the years I find myself constantly inspired by the accomplishments of my peers and what is possible.

My experience with DD Day stretches right back to  the first year and I was asked to put together a short video explaining my history with this incredible event. I'm looking forward to staying involved and am very excited at what 2018, the 30th Anniversary, will bring.

Lee Hartlieb / President / Exceptional Entrepreneurs of America.